[UPDATE] Applicants selected for presentations have been notified by email.
[UPDATE] The application deadline has passed and no further applications will be received.
The Waterloo Region District School Board is accepting applications to fill two vacant Trustee positions representing Waterloo/Wilmot and Woolwich/Wellesley.
As outlined in the Education Act, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- a Canadian citizen
- 18 years of age or older
- a resident of the Waterloo region
- be a public school elector
- not legally prohibited from voting; and,
- not disqualified by any legislation from holding school board office (E.g., an employee of any school board)
All completed applications and proof of qualification must be received by 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 15, 2023.
- All applicants must complete the 2023 Trustee Application Form. To assist in the screening process, applicants will be asked to respond to three essay questions as part of their application. Responses will be limited to 500 words or less for each question. The questions are as follows:
- What do you understand to be the role of a school board trustee?
- What do you believe are the opportunities and challenges in public education today?
- What would you like to accomplish as a trustee in the next three years?
- All applicants must email their proof of qualification to the Manager of Corporate Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. The following qualifications require proof:
- Canadian Citizenship
- 18 years of age or older
- Resident of the Region of Waterloo
Examples of “proof of qualification” include a property tax bill, Canadian passport, or other documentation proving residency in the Region of Waterloo. Please redact any personal information not required for verification of qualifications.
- You may apply for either the Waterloo / Wilmot or Woolwich / Wellesley Public School Trustee position.
- All completed applications and proof of qualification must be received by 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 15, 2023.
- The Manager of Corporate Services will verify the qualifications of applicants and will notify eligible candidates of their interview. All qualified applicants who are selected for a presentation will be notified by Wednesday, June 21, 2023, and will be provided with the question for their presentation at that time. We appreciate all applications; however, only those selected for a presentation will be contacted.
- Selected applicants will present at a Special Board Meeting open to all members of the public on Wednesday, June 28, 2023. Candidates will have five (5) minutes to provide a verbal presentation focused on the interview question provided. The order of the presentations will be randomly drawn.
- All presentations will take place during a public Board Meeting. The applicant’s name and municipality/township the applicant resides in will be provided in a report to the Board in a public session. Personal information on this form is collected as part of the Trustee application process. This information will be used to assist in the decision-making process to fill the vacancy for the position of Trustee. The notice of application form will be a public document. The Waterloo Region District Board reserves the right to post applicant information on the Board’s website.
- At the conclusion of the presentations on June 28, 2023, Trustees will vote by anonymous ballot using the procedure for electing the Board Chairperson as outlined in WRDSB Bylaw 6.5, and the candidate receiving the majority votes will be confirmed and announced immediately. The successful applicant will be sworn into office immediately.
- If you have any questions regarding the process or with respect to the collection of information, please contact Stephanie Reidel, Manager of Corporate Services, at 519-570-0003 x4336 or email@example.com.