By default, your property taxes support your municipality’s English public school board, the Waterloo Region District School Board. You’ll find information about which school board your property taxes support on your Property Assessment Notice.

As a property owner in Ontario, you are required to support a school system, even if you do not have children.

This information is for property owners and tenants in Ontario who would like to change which school board they support through a portion of their property taxes.

In addition to supporting the board that best reflects your educational preferences, you will be able to vote in the next municipal election for trustees for the school board that you support.

Criteria to Support the WRDSB

In order to change your school board support, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must own or lease a property.
  • You may direct school support to only one of the boards operating in your municipality. Note that not all school boards are available in all municipalities.
  • If you own or lease more than one property in a school board jurisdiction, all properties must support the same school board.

The Process to Change your School Board Support to WRDSB

To change the school board designation that MPAC has on file for you, please follow these steps:

  1. You must complete and attach an Application for Direction of School Support form.
  2. Using mail or email, please send MPAC your:
  3. MPAC will process the change to your school support designation upon receipt.


Application for Direction of School Support

Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC)