Become a Trustee
What is a school board trustee?
School board trustees are locally-elected representatives of the public and they are our community’s advocate for public education. As a member of our board, their role is to assist the board in fulfilling its duties under Ontario’s Education Act. They must maintain a focus on student achievement and well-being and help make decisions that benefit the whole school board district while representing the interests of their constituents. They must also communicate the views and decisions of the board back to their constituents.
Learn more about school board trustees.
A full list of candidates running for the office of trustee will be posted after the nomination day on July 27, 2018.
2018 Municipal and School Board Elections
Election day is October 22, 2018. Recent legislative amendments have resulted in changes to the election calendar. Please refer the following key dates:
May 1, 2018
- First day for candidate to file a nomination paper for the office of school board trustee
- Campaign period begins once a nomination notice of registration is filed
July 27, 2018
- Nomination day (deadline to file a nomination)
- All candidates are welcome to submit their profiles to TrusteeCandidateInfo@oesc-
cseo.org. Please include your name, school board and ward. You may also include a photo, a brief biography, your email address and website address with your profile.
October 22, 2018
- Voting day
- Eligible to vote? Visit voterlookup.ca to confirm you’re on the list to vote. Have your say. Log on today.
- 2018 Candidates’ Guide for Ontario Municipal Council and School Board Elections
- 2018 Voters’ Guide for Ontario Municipal Council and School Board Elections
- 2018 Guide for Third Party Advertisers – Ontario Municipal Council and School Board Elections
- Making A Difference for Kids Guidebook
- 2018 Ontario Municipal & School Board Elections website & toolkit