External groups/organizations wishing to distribute information to Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB) schools are required to obtain authorization and an approval number for distribution from the Office of the Chairperson.
Significant changes have been made to our distribution of materials process. These changes have been in place since September, 2014. All external groups are asked to consult with us prior to preparing material intended for distribution to schools via the WRDSB Distribution Centre/School Courier as this service is no longer available.
The WRDSB will no longer send home paper copies of community information, flyers, etc. This type of information will only be distributed electronically. Electronic distribution is an environmentally friendly solution that will greatly reduce each organization’s expenses related to the cost of paper and printing and save volunteer and staff hours counting and sorting materials for distribution. Electronic distribution will also greatly reduce the amount of paper being sent home to our families, a concern raised by parents in the Parent Communication Survey conducted in May, 2014.
Criteria for Approval
- material must be of educational value and non-commercial in nature (from charitable or not-for-profit groups)
- promote physical health and/or student well-being
- material and programs/activities offered must be consistent with the Board’s Strategic Priorities
- please forward your request, along with an electronic copy (PDF) of the material to be distributed, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- all material and website links will be reviewed for content
- confirmation of approval and an approval number will be provided to those approved for electronic posting
- a fee of $50 will be charged for this service. Cheques should be made payable to the Waterloo Region District School Board and sent to the attention of Karin Sonnenberg, Administrative Assistant to the Chairperson, 51 Ardelt Avenue, Kitchener, ON N2C 2R5
- please include your approval number on your cheque
The fee for electronic distribution is applicable when we distribute information to any of the following: to our corporate website, to all staff, to teachers and/or to students in our schools.
Please allow a minimum of 2 weeks for review and response. Due to the volume of requests received, and availability of resources, the WRDSB is not able to guarantee distribution or posting of information related to winter break, March break, statutory holiday or summer vacation activities and camps without sufficient lead time.
The cut-off date for submission of materials for distribution during the 2019-20 school year is June 1, 2020. Schools are extremely busy during the month of June and cannot guarantee materials will be shared beyond this date. We thank you for your understanding.
Community-related items (example: local bake sales/clothing drives) do not require system-wide approval. Principals may, at their discretion, agree to circulate/post this material for their individual school communities. Please contact schools directly with these requests.