International Student Registration

How to Apply to the Waterloo Region District School Board

Our online application forms are supported by Chrome, Firefox 3.5 and higher, Internet Explorer 7 and higher, Opera, and Safari (Mac only).

Please complete the following steps to apply as an international student:

Step 1: Complete and submit the online application form.

  • Once you have submitted the form, you will receive an email with a link to upload the required documents

Step 2: Upload the required documents

  1. Certified school transcripts for the previous two years (with an official English translation)
  2. A copy of the student’s birth certificate (with an official English translation)
  3. A notarized Custodian Appointment Letter (notarized in the student’s home country)
  4. A notarized Custodian Agreement Letter (notarized by the custodian in Canada)

Step 3: Once your application has been submitted and the required documentation uploaded, we will review your application

  • Processing times are 10-15 business days. Once our review is complete, we will email an invoice to you for payment

Step 4: Provide payment of school fees before June 1, 2018.  Tuition fees for the 2018-2019 school year are:

  • Secondary (full year): $17,300 (maximum of 8 classes)
  • Secondary (one semester): $9,200 (maximum of 4 classes)
  • Elementary (full year): $16,100
  • Elementary (one semester): $8,300
  • Single Course: $2,600 per credit (Summer School, Night School, Language Programs)

Note: Tuition fees may increase for the 2019-2020 school year.  Fees will be updated at the beginning of January 2019.

An official tuition receipt and Letter of Acceptance will be provided following the completion of the above steps.  The Letter of Acceptance can be used to apply for the Study Visa for the student.

Processing times can vary considerably for Visas but on average, you should allow at least 3 months for this process. Incomplete applications will be closed after 90 days of file inactivity.

For complete details regarding the application process, fees, and requirements please refer to International Students Requirements and Procedures.

If your family will be moving to Canada, please see International Families Living in Waterloo Region.

What Happens After I Arrive in Canada?

We suggest that you arrive at least 2-3 weeks prior to the start of the school semester. Once you have arrived in Canada, you will meet with the International Admissions Office. During this meeting we will review your study permit and passport and the student will sign the Student Agreement. The International Admissions office will also review proof of medical insurance at this appointment.

If you are new to our Board, you will need to complete an English and Math assessment at the WRDSB Welcome Centre after your appointment with the International Admissions Office. We recommend that you arrange your appointment once your travel arrangements have been confirmed. The Welcome Centre will determine which school will best meet the needs of the student and whether ESL (English as a Second Language) support is required. At the end of the assessment, school placement will be determined based on the need for ESL support and the location of the student’s residence.  Following the appointment at the Welcome Centre, the student will meet with a school Guidance Counsellor to complete the registration process.

Returning Students

If you currently are an International Student with the WRDSB, please contact the International Admissions Office at if you would like to renew for the 2017-2018 school year.


If you have further questions regarding the International Student Application Process please contact the International Admissions Office at