Become a Co-op Community Partner with the Waterloo Region District School Board
Preparing students for learning, life, and fulfilment!
Thank you for your interest in providing a co-op placement. Your willingness to help is important. Your contribution makes a difference for students and our community.
To get started, please submit your contact information. A Learning Services team member will follow up with you.
Co-operative Education (Co-op) provides high school students with valuable community-based experience while earning credits towards a graduation diploma.
Co-op, a type of experiential learning, allows students to apply and reflect on their learning in a setting outside school.
Co-op helps engage and motivate students. Students are often more successful when learning is meaningful and connected to their life and community.
Student Preparation and Support
Introductory Health and Safety training is provided for students prior to participating in a co-op placement. WSIB (Workplace Safety Insurance Board) Insurance is provided for students in most placements. Regular liaison and support from educators are provided.
Value of Involvement
Your participation in co-op can:
- Promote youth engagement and success
- Provide opportunities for students to develop learning skills and attitudes
- Give students experience and insight into careers and further learning
- Help identify and develop future talent, potential employees, or contributors
- Diversify the background, perspectives and participants in your organization
- Provide you with on-site or virtual student support
- Give you additional help in completing tasks where resources are limited
- Allow you to benefit from a range of student skills, experiences, and questions
- Showcase your investment in student learning and community leadership
- Celebrate and promote your organization and contributions to the community
- Reinforce and model organizational values and vision such as supporting youth development