It’s all about community support at St. Andrew’s PS
June 24th, 2015
At St. Andrew’s Public School, staff and students participated in a community support challenge for the month of June. The homeroom based initiative allowed every class to decide on an activity they’d like to undertake to support either their local or global community.
Some of the activities included:
- food bank donations
- community clean ups
- visiting seniors (socializing and helping them with gardening)
- collecting donations and visiting The Bridges – Cambridge Shelter Corporation
- supporting the Cambridge and District Humane Society
- giving money to buy goats for farming project in third world countries
- participating in a walk to support Shannen’s Dream, equity for First Nations children
The goal of the initiative was to demonstrate positive citizenship and support for the community by making a difference, no matter how big or small. The activities engaged St. Andrew’s PS students in ways that they can inspire and motivate other students by helping them develop positive leadership skills and establish a strong sense of empathy and community-mindedness. They are all doing their part to support the community they live in.
Categories: Community · Schools Tags: Cambridge and District Humane Society · community initiatives · School of the Day · Shannen's Dream · St. Andrew's Public School · The Bridges - Cambridge Shelter Corporation