Siobhan Shonk is a teacher who loves to include new and innovative ideas in her classroom to promote student voice and engagement, and it is because of her passion that she was chosen to be a feature blog writer on Kidblog.

Kidblog, a resource she uses within her classroom, is a blogging platform providing teachers with the tools to help students publish writing safely online. Students exercise digital citizenship within a secure classroom blogging space. Teachers can monitor all activity within their blogging community.

Shonk has been working at Westheights Public School for four and a half years teaching grade 8 language, history and geography. She is also their resident education tech lead learner.  With over 15 years experience, she values a student directed classroom model, giving students choice and voice in their learning, using educational technology and authentic learning opportunities to engage students and enhance their learning.

“As teachers, we’ve all heard of really great ideas we’d like to incorporate into our lessons.  Sometimes our excitement is met with success, while other times we try it and vow never to do it again.  Using a blog with a classroom of kids has the potential to go either way. It’s all in the planning – and it’s worth it.”

To read her full blog, visit Kidsblog.

blog

Take a look at how one WRDSB teacher is expanding student learning.