Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB) provides each student in Grades 6 to 8 with a Chromebook. Our goal is to ensure that students have equitable access to devices which are important for learning, student achievement and well-being.
How It Works
- Each student in Grades 6 to 8 is assigned a Chromebook to use for the school year.
- These devices remain the property of WRDSB.
- Students with Special Education Assistive (SEA) devices should continue to use the device assigned to them.
- Students must read and agree to follow the WRDSB’s Responsible Use Procedure.
The Chromebook Agreement for Elementary Students
- Parents or caregivers are requested to complete and return the Chromebook Agreement (Elementary).
- Students will be able to bring their assigned Chromebook home once the Chromebook Agreement (Elementary) has been signed and returned to the school.
Chromebooks will be collected from students:
- At the end of the school year
- If the student changes schools
- If the student leaves the school board
Devices which are not returned can be remotely disabled.
Families can refer to the Tech@Home website to answer any common questions they may have about Chromebooks.
Benefits to Student Learning
- Exposure to different digital tools in both in-person and online learning
- Increased ability to transition between face-to-face and the connected classroom
- Opportunities to demonstrate learning in a variety of different ways
- Experiencing digital citizenship in real-life contexts
- Equitable access to digital resources
- Use the Chromebook appropriately as a tool for learning.
- Take care of their assigned Chromebook.
- Ensure that their Chromebook is charged for each school day.
- Always follow the WRDSB’s Responsible Use Procedure.
- When taken home, the Chromebook and charger must be brought back to school the next school day.
- Report any damage or a lost Chromebook immediately to their teacher or principal.
Taking Chromebooks Home
- Students are able to take their assigned Chromebook home once the Chromebook Agreement (Elementary) has been signed and returned.
- Chromebooks and chargers must be returned for the next school day as they are used daily in classrooms for learning.
- Internet filtering is only in place on WRDSB controlled networks, and not on home networks. Parents, caregivers and families may wish to put website filtering tools into place at home to address this, if they deem it to be necessary.
- Additional information can be found on the internet filtering page.
Malfunctioning, Damaged or Lost Chromebooks
In the event a Chromebook is damaged or lost, school administrators will:
- Determine if a replacement cost is required.
- Ensure damaged devices remain property of the school.
- Collect any required funds through School-Day.
- Provide students with a device to use during the school day.
- Assess if home use is appropriate at this time.
|Malfunctioning||Accidental Damage||Neglect or Intentional Damage||Lost|
|No fee.||$50 replacement charge.||Full replacement cost (currently $357).||Full replacement cost (currently $357).|