March 31st, 2020
As you likely know, based on advice from Dr. David Williams, Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health and the experts at the COVID-19 Command Table, the Premier of Ontario and Minister of Education have announced that school closures and distance learning will continue for all Ontario elementary and secondary schools through May 4 to help limit the spread of COVID-19.
This means that all WRDSB facilities will remain closed through to May 4, 2020. At this time, we do not know if the closure will be extended, but we will keep our school communities informed as information is available.
The Ministry of Education announced Phase Two of Learn at Home. As part of this new teacher-led phase, students will be provided with support and resources to help them continue their studies at home. We expect to receive more details from the Ministry of Education later today and will work diligently to ensure that WRDSB@Home aligns and supports the provincial plan. We will be reaching out to families and caregivers as we receive more information. Continue to refer to WRDSB@Home for information to support your child’s learning
At this time, we can confirm the following:
- We will be working towards re-establishing teacher-led learning by grade groupings
- This closure includes Board Operated Extended Day Programs
- Families registered in WRDSB operated programs will not be charged fees during this time
- All secondary Co-Op placements are postponed during this time
- All childcare centres located in our schools are also closed
- Families should contact their childcare directly for information regarding fees
- All WRDSB events are cancelled until May 4
We know our students, families and staff continue to have questions; we are working with our education partners and will update you as we learn more. Our students miss their schools, classrooms, friends and the staff that help them learn each day – we miss them too.
Thank you to the WRDSB families, students and staff for your continued patience and flexibility.
We will continue to provide updates as information becomes available. For information and updates, please refer to these resources:
- Government of Ontario Learn at Home
- Subscribe to our website at www.wrdsb.ca to receive updates
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram