By Kian Mirzaei – Grade 11 student at Laurel Heights Secondary School

More than 120 students and staff from Laurel Heights Secondary School came together at our first roundtable meeting on October 23. Roundtables have been held at Laurel Heights for the past five years. They are used to share what is being worked on in clubs; meet other student leaders; and share input on changes members want to see in the school community. These roundtables are held quarterly and are open to anyone at Laurel Heights, with club executives and staff sponsors being highly encouraged to attend.

The meeting consisted of community announcements from students and staff; Q&A with teachers and administrators; and a presentation about the WRDSB Student Voice and Agency Plan. After the meeting, there was time for students to chat with staff about specific ideas or concerns they had for Laurel Heights.

One of the components of the WRDSB Strategic Plan is letting students lead. Creating environments like roundtables at our schools where students can meet on the same level with staff to have their voices heard is a great way to strengthen student leadership. It is so important to bridge the gap between students and educators because it empowers students to not only speak out on what they think is wrong, but also to create the change they want to see.

When asked why he thinks roundtable meetings are essential to strengthening student leadership, Laurel Heights’ leadership teacher, Mr. Steckley said, “It allows us to bring a diverse representation of the most motivated, dedicated and innovative leaders in our school community together.”

Co-Prime Minister, Sam Marsh, one of the two student-elected leaders at LHSS, stated, “Roundtables create a place where everyone can collaborate to achieve our goals as a student body.”

I had a great time organizing this Roundtable Meeting and was so happy to see how it helped elevate student voices at Laurel Heights. Schools across the region can benefit from implementing roundtable meetings and providing a space for students to work alongside staff and administrators to create a more inclusive, united, and vibrant WRDSB community.

Student roundtables are among the many ways WRDSB schools can centre student agency and voices. To learn more about how these can support your student body, speak to your school administrator. If you are interested in sharing information about the work of your school’s student roundtable, email delia_loveless@wrdsb.ca

#StudentVoice Series

This article is written by a WRDSB student and is part of the Student Agency and Voice program. Student journalists embody WRDSB’s commitment to creating space for students to tell their stories. They are ambassadors for their peers as they share their personal experiences and stories about their schools and communities in their unique voices.