February 26th, 2013
Last week, our Board received the “(re)defining Excellence in the Classroom Award” for our Futures Forum initiative that supports 21st century learning in schools across the WRDSB. Solution Tree, an educational publisher, selected the WRDSB from 70 entries across North America. The award included a $10,000 contribution by Solution Tree to our Board.
The award recognizes:
- Exceptional vision in leading the development and implementation of a district wide plan
- An open-minded approach in considering non-traditional solutions to traditional problems
- A commitment to embedded professional development for all
- Exemplary leadership in advancing the integration of 21st century skills in all facets of teaching and learning
What is Futures Forum?
- Part of the WRDSB’s digital learning strategy in support of the overall system goal for students to communicate their thinking in writing
- Aimed at Grade 10 students enrolled in English, Civics, and careers coursesacross 12 secondary schools
- Students explore their interests within the parameters of the curriculum and become independent learners; Class runs over 2 periods and students bring their own technology
- Teachers coach and encourage students to go deeper in their learning using real world, authentic projects for learning; they also collaborate across schools
View our video here.
We are very proud of our students and staff who work in collaboration to support 21st century skills in schools across the Waterloo Region District School Board. Congratulations!