We expect each International Student and Custodian to meet the following requirements.
As an International Student, you need to:
- Arrive 2-3 weeks before school begins to finish registration
- Have a valid Canadian Study Permit while living in Canada
- Purchase Medical Insurance through our board
- Register as a full-time student and go to all of your classes
- Meet the behaviour expectations of our board
This applies to all International Students, including those already going to private schools or other public school boards in Canada seeking admission into the Waterloo Region District School Board.
Please read our International Student Agreement for more information about our student requirements.
We may look at your grades and attendance during the school year. If you do not meet our requirements we issue a letter of warning and you may be asked to leave. In this case your tuition will not be refunded and you will be asked to return to your country at your own expense.
Students Who Are 18 Years Old
For students 18 years of age when registering, we require a signed letter from the parents acknowledging no custodian is necessary.
Students who will be turning 18 within the school year are required to sign our Consent for Information form to allow information sharing between the board and parents.
Each International Student is required to have a Custodian who makes sure the student receives care and support when needed, including in times of emergency. As required by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada, the Custodian must be 19 years or older and be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada.
The Custodian must live in Waterloo Region. All elementary students must provide custodian documents even if a parent will be staying with the student.
- Assist the student with arrival:
- Attend the admission intake meeting with the International Admissions Office
- Attend the assessment appointment with the WRDSB Welcome Centre
- Accompany the student to the school for registration and sign the registration forms
- During the school year:
- Serve as the official contact for the school in educational or behavioral matters
- Provide consent as needed by the school for academic programs and activities
- Attend parent-teacher interviews
- Send a copy of the report card to the student’s parents
- Communicate with the student’s parents
- When needed:
- Advise parents immediately of any school issues that present a problem or concern
- Assist the student in finding medical care and the submission of medical insurance claims
- If student is returning:
- Assist with renewal process for the next school year
- Keep WRDSB International Admissions Office up-to-date:
- Notify International Admissions before leaving the country to ensure the student will have local support during this time
- Notify International Admissions if custodian information changes (address, custodian, etc.)