Do you have a Work Permit, Study Permit, or Refugee Claimant Document? Are you waiting for confirmation of Permanent Residency or Citizenship? Your child may be eligible for fee-exempt status with the Waterloo Region District School Board.
Learn about the eligibility requirements and what documents are required before you can register your child at their school.
How to Apply
1. Review our Requirements
Read the Immigration Status Requirements. Make sure you meet the requirements and understand which documents you will need to provide.
2. Apply Online
Fill in the Online International Admissions Application when your child has arrived to live in Waterloo Region. Please note: Applications are processed in the order in which they are received.
Applying before your child arrives will not help them to start school sooner.
3. Upload Required Documents
When you submit the online application we will immediately send you an automatic email. The email will include your file number (AF number) and tell you how to upload the required documents. After you have uploaded all required documents we will review your application within 1-3 business days.
How to upload documents:
- Take a picture of your documents with a phone or scan them
- Follow the instructions in the email to upload the pictures to your application with a phone or a computer
Having trouble? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Schedule an Appointment Online
When we approve your application we will send you an email to schedule an appointment. Please choose a time that is convenient for you.
At the appointment we will:
- Review the original required documents
- Review proof of your address in Waterloo Region. Please bring a lease or rental agreement, purchase agreement, utility bill, or bank statement. We cannot use a driver’s license. Without proof of address we will not be able to complete the meeting
- After final approval we will issue a Letter of Admission for your child
After these 4 steps are taken you will be able to complete the registration at your child’s school.