What is a boundary study?
A boundary study is a public process to change school attendance areas. The Board will consider boundary changes when:
- A new school opens
- Grades or programs change
- Too many students are in a school
- Too few students are in a school
A boundary study does not have a fixed schedule. Changes will take place at the start of a school year (September). Generally a boundary change must be approved before February 28th for changes in the next school year.
School boundaries also change when schools close. The Board use a more formal process, called a Pupil Accommodation Review, when closing a school.
Current boundary studies
- West Waterloo elementary schools boundary study phase 2
- Southwest Kitchener secondary boundary study
Public meetings and providing your input
When the Board makes decisions about student accommodations, including school attendance areas we consult with community members. We encourage community engagement in the process to ensure your ideas and concerns are communicated to the Board. Public meeting notices and other updates will be shared on individual boundary study website’s, your school’s website as well as WRDSB social media. Please subscribe to the pages to ensure you receive all of the updates.
The Board of Trustees will make the final decision taking into account all of the feedback gathered throughout the study.
Working Group meeting agendas and minutes
Working Group meetings are not public and as such, non-members can attend by invitation only.
Working Group meeting minutes will be posted as they are approved, therefore minutes are usually available online two-three weeks after a given meeting.
Other related policies and procedures include:
- Board Policy 4012 – School Attendance Areas
- Board Policy: 4013 Secondary Schools
- Board Policy 3002 – Elementary School Size and Configuration
- Administrative Procedure 4260 – Student Transportation
- Administrative Procedure 4992 – Temporary Accommodation for Development Areas
For more on current and future studies, read the Accommodation Planning 2018-2019 Report to Committee of the Whole.
- Subscribe to your boundary study page to get updates
- Attend public meetings
- Talk to someone on the Working Group
- Email your Trustees
- Contact WRDSB Planning staff:
- Email planning (please put your boundary study name in the subject line)
- Phone: 519-570-0003 ext. 4419
- Mail: 51 Ardelt Ave, Kitchener, ON N2C 2R5 (attention: Planning Department)
- Central Kitchener/Waterloo senior schools
- Central Waterloo/Lakeshore elementary schools
- Huron South (Kitchener)
- Doon South II (Kitchener)
- Hunt Club (Cambridge)
- Breslau (Woolwich Township)
- Fischer-Hallman/Huron Boundary Study (elementary) – September 26, 2017 to December 18, 2017
- West Waterloo Elementary Schools Boundary Study – January 22, 2015 to November 30, 2015
- Baden Elementary Schools Boundary Study – January 20, 2014 to September 29, 2014
- Doon South Elementary Schools Boundary Study – May 13, 2013 to February 10, 2014
- Elmira Elementary Schools Boundary Study – May 14, 2012 to November 25, 2013
- Huron Village Elementary Schools Boundary Study – May 14, 2012 to January 28, 2013
- Forest Hill/Trillium Elementary Schools Boundary Study – February 14, 2011 to January 23, 2012
- Preston Area Elementary Schools Boundary Study – November 24, 2008 to June 29, 2009
- Sir John A Macdonald Secondary School and Kitchener-Waterloo Collegiate Institute and Vocational School Boundary Study – January 17, 2011 to February 13, 2012
- Huron Heights Secondary School and Preston High School Boundary Study – May 17, 2010 to January 17, 2011
- Secondary School Boundary Study (phases 1 and 2) – November 2009 to March 2015