Accommodation (school closure) reviews
Every year we report on future reviews. The most recent report is Accommodation Planning 2017-2018.
There are currently no active reviews.
The review process
An accommodation review is a process used to close a school permanently. Closing a school for good is not an easy decision. We use the review process to make sure all voices are heard. A review asks parents, students, and the community what they think of the proposed options.
The key steps in the process are:
- Initial staff report – staff present options to the Board of Trustees
- Community consultation – at least two public meetings are held to talk about the options
- Final staff report – staff present a final option to the Board of Trustees
- Decision – trustees vote on the option
- Transition – a team is set up to work out the details of the approved option
Policy and procedure
The following policies and procedure came into effect on July 1, 2016:
- Board Policy 4000 – Pupil Accommodation Review (Consolidation or Closure)
- Administrative Procedure 4860 – Pupil Accommodation Review (Consolidation or Closure)
- Board Policy 1011 – Community Planning and Facility Partnerships
For more information on reviews, please see the Ministry of Education’s Pupil Accommodation Review Guideline (PARG) from March 2015.
Frequently asked questions
More frequently asked questions about pupil accommodation reviews are on the Ontario Ministry of Education’s website.
Who decides to close schools?
School boards make decisions about boundaries and school closures. We ask everyone to share their ideas and concerns during the review process. That way all concerns and ideas are heard before any decisions are made.
What happens to schools if they close?
This process is fully explained on our page about the Disposition of Surplus School Sites/Land.
Completed reviews (elementary)
Past elementary school accommodation reviews include:
- Woolwich and Wellesley Townships – February 14, 2011, to November 25, 2013
- West Galt – February 14, 2011, to January 28, 2013
- East Kitchener-Waterloo – June 22, 2009, to June 21, 2010
- Grand River South/Sunnyside – November 23, 2009, to May 30, 2011
- Breslau/Stanley Park – November 23, 2009, to June 27, 2011
- Southeast Galt – June 23, 2008, to October 26, 2009
Completed reviews (secondary)
There were no secondary school accommodation reviews in the past ten years.