Education Development Charges
The following WRDSB Education Development Charge (EDC) rates apply to building permits in the Region of Waterloo:
- Residential rate of $1,948.00 per unit
- Non-residential rate of $1.41 per square foot or $15.81 per square metre
EDCs are a levy on new residential and non-residential construction.
We use EDCs to buy land for new schools to help us grow.
The Education Development Charges By-Law, 2016 is effective from June 1, 2016 to May 31, 2021. We can change the amount we charge each year, if needed.
Do I have to pay a fee?
Some types of land uses, like hospitals, government buildings or farms do not have to pay EDCs. For a complete list of land uses that do not have to pay, please refer to the Education Development Charges By-Law, 2016.
Unlike some municipalities, we do not have any area-specific exemptions (e.g., core area redevelopment).
Demolition or redevelopment credits
Demolition or destruction of a building gives credits for redevelopment. Redevelopment must be on the same site. Credits last for two years on residential units and five years on non-residential floor area.
Residential additions and conversions
We do not charge EDCs on basic additions to homes, like adding a sun room. Sometimes if you add more units to a home, a charge applies. If you convert a home within 12 months of moving in, a charge applies. We do not charge if you add:
- one to two new units to a single detached home
- the total gross floor area of the new unit(s) must be smaller or the same size as the existing unit
- one new unit to all other residential dwellings (e.g., townhouse, apartment, etc.)
- the total gross floor area of the new unit must be smaller or the same size as the smallest existing unit in the building
For more information, consult the Education Development Charges By-Law, 2016.
Non-residential (industrial) additions
We may not charge EDCs on additions to existing industrial buildings if the gross floor area increases by less than 50 per cent. If increasing by more than 50 per cent, a charge applies only to the amount over 50 per cent.
This does not apply to detached buildings on the same site. For more information, consult the Education Development Charges By-Law, 2016.
More information on the EDC by-law is available in the following documents: