Which school do I attend?
School attendance is determined by your home address. Each school has a boundary associated with it (also known as a zone, catchment area or attendance area). Occasionally school boundaries change through a process called a boundary study or an accommodation review (school closure review).
You can use the School Eligibility application to find out which school boundary you live in and whether you are eligible to ride the bus to school (in accordance with Student Transportation Policies and Procedures). Please make sure to select the appropriate school year to determine eligibility as boundaries may change from year to year.
How do I register?
The Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB) welcomes you and your child to our school board. We celebrate the unique contributions of each individual and cultivate an environment that values imagination and innovation. Whether your child is entering kindergarten or secondary school, we have the programs and opportunities to meet your child’s needs, interests and goals.
New students: If your child is new to the WRDSB, please visit our registration page to learn more about how to register for all of our programs.
Existing (or previous) students of the WRDSB: If your child is, or was, a student at the WRDSB, please do not complete online registration. Contact the school you would like to register at for further instructions on how to re-register with us.
How do I request a boundary exemption/make an out-of-boundary request?
Normally a student attends the school located within the boundary in which the parents and/or legal guardian reside. It is important that boundaries are adhered to whenever possible and that there is consistency across the system. Principals have the ability to take into account special considerations that would allow students to cross boundaries. For the most part, these would address program needs or would be based on compassionate grounds. The Board has Administrative Procedures to address these requests:
- Administrative Procedure 1040 – Out of Boundary Requests Elementary Schools
- IS-10-A -Out of Boundary Request Form, Elementary
- Administrative Procedure 1030 – Student Out of Boundary Transfer Requests – Secondary Schools
- IS-10-B – School Transfer Request Form, Secondary
Maps by Municipality
Under redevelopment. Please check back later.
To determine school eligibility by address, please use the School Eligibility application.
- Cities of Cambridge, Kitchener, and Waterloo WRDSB Schools and Boundaries – 2019/20 school year
- Townships of North Dumfries, Wellesley, Wilmot and Woolwich WRDSB Schools, and Boundaries – 2019/20 school year
Secondary School Boundaries for System Designated Specialized (Magnet) Programs
To determine address eligibility for Secondary School System Designated Specialized (Magnet) Programs, please use the School Eligibility application. In the grade drop-down, select:
- “ESL” or 09E, 10E, 11E, 12E for English as a Second Language/ELD/Multilingual Learners
- “09F, 10F, 11F or 12F” for French Immersion or Extended French
- “FF” for For Fast Forward
- There is no address eligibility search for other magnet programs at this time
Please be advised that from time to time the WRDSB assigns students in new development areas to holding schools on a temporary basis until a new school or school addition is built in the community, or all or a portion of a Development Area can be incorporated into a new or existing school’s attendance area. If you are planning on purchasing a home in a new subdivision and are interested to learn more about future accommodation strategies, please contact Planning.
For information please visit the New Housing Developments – Holding School Assignments page.
Background Information/Important References
- Board Policies:
- Board Policy 4012 – School Attendance Areas
- Board Policy 4022 – School Size and Configuration
- Administrative Procedures:
- Administrative Procedure 4991 – Boundary Studies
- Administrative Procedure 4260 – Student Transportation
- Administrative Procedure 4992 – Temporary Accommodation for Development Areas
For further information, please contact the WRDSB Planning Department 519-570-0003 ext. 4419 or email