Starting August 1, 2017, two new faces will lead the student voice around the board table. Ryan Barnes and Husayn Jamal will finish their terms as Student Trustees on July 31, 2017. Kimia Shaban, a Grade 11 International Baccalaureate student at Cameron Heights Collegiate Institute, and George Kenyon, a Grade 11 student at Forest Heights Collegiate Institute and member of the Kitchener Youth Action Council, will be the new Student Trustees for the 2017-18 school year.

“Next year, I want to be an advocate for all students and ensure they explore all of their options that are available to them to ensure they’re successful on their education path,” said Shaban.

Kimia would like to increase awareness about the role of student trustees and communication amongst her fellow students. “It still amazes me and my family that I will be representing all students next year. My little sister, a Grade 3 student, told her whole class and is already making requests.”

Kenyon believes there is a strong connection between student, municipal and provincial politics. A successful term for Kenyon will mean that he has nudged issues in the right direction, which positively represent students and the school board.

“I’ve always had a desire to have an impact and help my fellow students have a voice,” said Kenyon. “My role during the next school year will allow students to be heard around the board table and increase the flow of communication between staff, trustees and students.”

WRDSB has two student representatives who are selected each year by the Board-wide Association of Student Council Chairs. Student trustees take part in discussions and debate during public meetings. The term for the new Student Trustees will run from August 1, 2017 to July 31, 2018. Learn more about the role of trustees.

“Student Trustees play a critical role around the table throughout the school year, as they act on behalf of more than 63,000 students,” said Scott McMillan, chair of the board. “On behalf of the trustees, we look forward to working with Kimia and George throughout the 2017-18 school year.”

Stay connected. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.