February 11th, 2019
Our school system is boundary-based. This means that your child’s school is decided by their home address. Each school has a boundary area, and if you live within that area your child will attend that school.
Many International Students attend our English as a Second Language (ESL) program. A student’s ESL level is independent of grade level. The students English language level does not affect what grade they will be placed into. The ESL program helps to ensure that students improve their English language skills and achieve academic success. ESL is offered at all elementary schools and at 4 of our secondary schools: Eastwood Collegiate, Forest Heights Collegiate, Galt Collegiate Institute and Waterloo Collegiate Institute.
Secondary Students born outside of Canada will complete an English Language Skills Assessment before finalizing their school placement and registering at the school level. To see which school is designated to any address, please visit the Student Transportation Services of Waterloo Region website.
- Click on “Which School do I Attend”
- Enter the home address
- Choose Waterloo Region District School Board
- For Elementary (JK to grade 8) students, choose the grade level (for example: “3”)
- For Secondary (grade 9-12) students:
- Choose the grade (example: “10”) for the home school
- Choose the number followed by an E (example: “10E”) for the ESL School.