Student Senator Roles & Responsibilities
Student Senate is a committee of the board that meets regularly throughout the school year. It is comprised of student representatives from each of our secondary schools. These meetings provide an opportunity for the Senators to act as an advisory body to the Student Trustees and Board Staff. The Senators provide a perspective on student issues and communicate back to their school’s student body the decisions made by Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB). Being involved in Student Senate also provides leadership opportunities for Senators as they advocate and learn the purpose and work of WRDSB.
- Senators are liaisons between the Board’s Student Senate and their individual school
- Attend all Senate meetings. If unable to attend will notify Chair(s) of their absence and if possible arrange another student to attend in their place
- Advertise Student Senate meetings to their school community
- Student Senators should read over agenda items and share important information with peers/school contact to gather information or ideas to bring to the meeting
- Student Senators are encouraged to bring forth agenda items to Student Trustees
- Assist the Student Trustees in determining student issues, gathering student opinion, and communicating with students so they can better represent their school community at the board table
- Communicate to their school community and Activities Council what was discussed/decided at the Student Senate meetings
- Student Senate members are encouraged to meet regularly with their Principal to share information from Student Senate meetings
- Student Senate members should regularly attend school council meetings to share student voice by reporting on Student Senate meetings
- Be a positive ambassador and leader
I, the undersigned, do hereby consent and agree to the Student Senate Roles & Responsibilities and the Terms of Reference.
I do hereby release to the WRDSB, its agents, and employees all rights to record and share my input and suggestions onto minutes and to be shared with the Board. As well, I consent that a print and electronic form of the minutes will be publicly displayed and kept as record here at the WRDSB. I waive any rights, claims, or interest I may have to control the use of my identity or likeness in minutes and any other way in regards to the Student Senate.
Student Senators must download and sign the Student Senator Roles and Responsibilities.