Major construction project updates
We provide updates four times a year on the status of building projects. Reports are made in September, December, March, and June.
As of September 18, 2017, all projects are on schedule, on budget and within scope. More details are in the Major Capital Projects – Quarterly Update Report.
Project by stage
As of September 18, 2017, projects are in four different stages of completion. More about theses stages can be found in “From Concept to Classroom: Leading Practices Manual for School Construction in Ontario”
Stage 1: pre-design
The projects in the pre-design stage include:
- New elementary school in South-east Cambridge (Greengate)
Stage 2: design
The projects in the design stage include:
- Grand River Collegiate Institute addition
- Ryerson Public School addition
- Cedar Creek Public School addition
Stage 3: pre-construction
There are no projects in the pre-construction stage.
Stage 4: construction
The projects in the construction stage include:
- New elementary school in South-west Kitchener (Rosenberg III – 335 Seabrook Drive, Kitchener)
- Queensmount Public School renovation
Funding for school construction comes from the Ministry of Education. Some of these sources are:
- Capital Priorities program
- School Condition Improvement grant
- School Facility Operations and Renewal grant
To learn more, visit the Ministry’s capital investments page.
We submit business cases once a year to the Ministry of Education for new schools or additions. The size of the grant changes with the Provincial budget.
Funding for the 2017 Capital Priorities program has not been announced yet. The projects from the May 15, 2017 – Capital Priorities Submission report were submitted on September 8, 2017. The projects include:
- A new Southwest Kitchener secondary school
- A new Huron South (Tartan Ave) elementary school
- A new North Cambridge (Hunt Club) elementary school
- A new Breslau-Hopewell Creek (Thomasfield) elementary school
- An addition at John Mahood Public School
- An addition at Waterloo-Oxford District Secondary School
- A new Doon South II (Ormston) elementary school
- An addition at Parkway Public School
School condition improvement (SCI) grant
Funding to address health and safety issues, replace and repair building components, improve the energy efficiency of schools, and improve accessibility.
School facility operations and renewal grant
Funding to repair, renovate, and/or replace buildings. This funding can also cover leases, additions, or other partnership agreements.