The Phase 1 French Immersion lottery for students starting Grade 1 in September 2021 is now closed. All children born in 2015 applying in Phase 2 (frenchimmersion.wrdsb.ca) will be placed on a first-come, first-served basis after Phase 1 students.
Grade 1 French Immersion for the 2021-2022 school year
Phase 1 (NOW CLOSED)
- Application to the lottery was open from January 6 to January 31, 2021
- If you applied in Phase 1, what happens next?
- Families will be notified the last week of February if they have secured a spot in the program.
- Once a child has been accepted into the program, their spot will be guaranteed for 2 weeks during which time families must click on the link sent to their email that they are accepting the placement.
- Students who do not secure a spot in the lottery will be placed on the waiting list(s) and placed as spots become available. Placements can occur up to mid-September 2021.
- Please read our Frequently Asked Questions related to acceptance/waiting list notifications
Phase 2 (OPEN)
- NOTE: If you applied in Phase 1, you do not need to apply in Phase 2. You will be notified the last week of February of your status.
- Opens February 1, 2021
- Students placed after Phase 1 students on a first-come, first-served basis. You will not be notified of placements starting in March (after Phase 1 students)
- Closes mid-September 2021
How to apply
- Go to the French Immersion application page (Note: Platform is not optimized for mobile devices – if you need assistance, please call 519-570-0003 x 4419)
- Click on “Create an Account” within the blue box
- Provide an email address and a password (Note: Hotmail/Yahoo accounts have caused issues in the past, it is best to use a different email for this process)
- Select “Register”
- Check your email account. You should receive a message from WRDSB <firstname.lastname@example.org> with a link to confirm your account. (Note: If you do not receive an email confirmation, check your spam folder)
- Confirm your account through the link in the email
- Log in to the system using your email and password
- Fill in the parent contact information
- Add your child(ren)’s information (Note: Twins or multiples can be added on the same account)
- Complete an application form for your child(ren)
- Add older siblings if they are already in French Immersion (if applicable)
- Determine which WRDSB school boundary you reside in via our School Finder site
- Your current school is always the first school we will consider you for Grade 1 French Immersion. We will always try and accommodate your child at their current school first. (Note: Your current school for Grade 1 French Immersion registration means the eligible school for where the student resides or the school where an older sibling attends for French Immersion when the student enters Grade 1)
- If the French Immersion program is not offered at your home school or you would like to be considered at another French Immersion site, please select a first and/or second alternative choice (this is above and beyond your current school choice).
- If you are not currently registered at a WRDSB school, please identify which WRDSB school you are eligible to attend based on your home address. This is the school you select under “Home School/Assigned School” in the application form. Under “Current School” when entering the Child’s information, please select “Other”
- Student transportation is governed by Board Policy 4009 – Student Transportation and Administrative Procedure 4260 – Student Transportation. If you are not eligible for transportation under the terms outlined therein, transportation to and from school will be the sole responsibility of the parent/caregiver.
Acceptance into the French Immersion program
Based on applications received during Phase 1, all Grade 1 French Immersion classes are created through a lottery system in this order:
- Students with a sibling presently in French Immersion at the school (if the sibling will be attending French Immersion at the school when the student enters Grade 1)
- Home school students (students residing within the school’s attendance area)
- Out of area students (students residing beyond the school’s attendance area)
- Waiting list students
NOTE: A lottery may not be required if there are fewer students apply than there are spaces available
For more information about applying for Grade 1 French Immersion, please email us.