Please read the rules for delegations and then register your delegation!
Individuals, organizations and groups are welcome to speak to the Board as a delegation.
In accordance with Board Bylaws, at regular Board meetings, delegations speak only to matters relevant to items listed on the agenda. All other presentations will be scheduled at Committee of the Whole Meetings.
You may register as a delegation by calling Stephanie Reidel, Manager of Corporate Services, at (519) 570-0003 x4336, during business hours. You should register by noon on the Thursday prior to the meeting.
You may register for one place on the agenda. Once registered, your place is not transferable to another party unless extenuating circumstances exist (e.g. illness of delegate). Multiple registrations (registering for other people besides yourself) are not permitted under the Board’s Bylaws.
Please note that a maximum of eight (8) delegates will be scheduled per Committee of the Whole or Board Meeting. The exception to this rule is Special Delegation Meetings, which the Board has the option of scheduling to hear from the public on specific matters such as budget or accommodation reviews.
After contacting the Manager of Corporate Services you will be asked to complete and submit the online delegation form prior to the meeting at which you are scheduled to speak. Please do not complete the form without first calling to secure a place on the agenda. The form requires you to summarize the issue you are speaking about. Once this form has been received your delegation request will be confirmed.
In addition, the Board’s Bylaws set out the following procedures when presenting as a delegate to the Board:
- Should you require audio-visual equipment, please let us know in advance. Equipment is available to assist with overhead and digital (e.g. PowerPoint) presentations.
- Up to ten (10) minutes are scheduled for each presentation. Exceptions to this rule are permitted only through a vote taken and supported by a majority of trustees.
- When it is time for your presentation at the meeting, the Board Chair will announce your name and ask you to proceed to the podium.
- At the beginning of your presentation, the timer will be set for ten minutes. When nine minutes have passed, the Board Chairperson will advise that you have one minute remaining to bring your presentation to a close.
- Following each presentation, trustees will have an opportunity to ask questions for clarification relating to your remarks. They are not permitted to discuss or debate the issue at that time.
- If the item you are addressing is listed on the agenda, then trustees will discuss the matter at the appropriate time.
- If your issue is NOT listed on the agenda, then trustees may opt to:
- refer it to staff for follow-up, or
- request that it be included on a future meeting agenda, or
- add the item to the meeting agenda, which requires a two-thirds vote of the trustees present.
Delegates are expected to conduct themselves with courtesy and respect for others.
Delegations are welcome to stay for the entire meeting but are not obligated to do so and may withdraw at any time during the meeting proceedings.
If you are unable to stay to listen to the discussion on the topic of concern, then the contact information you provide to the Manager of Corporate Services will be used to advise you of the action taken by the Board, if any.
If you have any questions regarding the delegation process call (519) 570-0003 x4336.